Valentine’s Day is a day for romance and of course chocolate (at least most of the time). For the couples who plan on buying each other chocolate, that’s wonderful but remember that our furry friends are curious and are NOT allowed chocolate whatsoever. If you receive chocolate this valentine’s day, remember to keep it up high and out of reach of animals because chocolate can cause poisoning in dogs. “Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of the Theobroma cacao, which contains properties that can be toxic to animals - caffeine and theobromine. If ingested, these two ingredients can lead to various medical complications and may even prove fatal for your dog” (PetMD.com). PetMD also lists several symptoms that comes along with the ingestion of chocolate and some of them are: (more can be found by clicking the link above).
- Rapid breathing
Besides knowing the symptoms, PetMD suggests that you know what the toxicity levels are for different types of chocolates, which is actually something I learned while writing this blog for everyone, so hopefully one of our readers learns something new today as well!
According to PetMD,
“1. Milk chocolate toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested; severe toxicity occurs when two ounces per pound of body weight is ingested”.
“2. Semi-sweet chocolate toxicity occurs when .3 is ingested, and severe occurs when one ounce is ingested”.
Lastly is baking chocolate, and “this type of chocolate has the highest concentration of caffeine and theobromine and because of this, as little as two small one ounce squares can be toxic”.
Remember, Valentine’s Day is supposed to be sweet for us, but not for our pets.