7 Pet Holiday Hazards to Watch Out For


Hooray! Christmas is coming, which means decorations, shopping, caroling, parties and more!

Unfortunately, it also means you have to keep a closer eye on your pet to make sure he doesn't eat or get into anything that could be hazardous to his health.

This is the time of year when families come together to celebrate and appreciate one another, and your dog is just as big a part of your family as everyone else. That’s why it’s important to watch out for these pet holiday hazards and keep your little one safe:

1 - Ornaments and Decorations

Decorating your house and Christmas tree is a fun and exciting activity, and you bet your dog will want to participate in some fashion! Unfortunately, shiny tinsel and balls and other ornaments look like fun toys for your dog or cat to pull and chew on, which can lead to a variety of disasters. Your pet could end up swallowing the decoration or ornament, which in the case of sharp tinsel and glass can end up being fatal. Or your pet might accidentally end up bringing the whole tree on top of them by accident. Either way, it’s best to keep your pet away from the tree if at all possible.

2 - Chocolate

Do you buy your children advent calendars? Or keep little chocolate Santas on the mantle or hanging from the Christmas tree? Chocolate is fatal to dogs when too much of it is ingested, so make sure that if you have any kind of holiday chocolate that it’s kept out of your pet’s reach.

3 - Bones

It might seem natural for you to toss some leftover steak or chicken to your dog from the dinner table, but use caution. Chicken bones can splinter in your dog’s mouth and cause internal bleeding and injury, and even bones that aren’t hollow can still cause your dog to choke.

4 - Holiday Plants

Certain holiday plants are toxic to pets, and in some cases are even deadly. Here are a list of the ones you should watch out for:

Mistletoe – this festive plant is the sprig of leaves that couples are supposed to kiss under, during the Christmas season. But when ingested by dogs, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, breathing issues, hallucinations and even death.

Pine needles – Found on your Christmas tree and wreath, these needles can produce vomiting, oral irritation, lethargy, diarrhea, trembling and posterior weakness when ingested by pets.

Holly – this plant can cause depression as well as intense vomiting and diarrhea.

Poinsettias – this red, flowering plant can cause oral irritation and vomiting.

5 - Alcohol

Your pooch might look a little thirsty, but make sure to keep his snout out of the punch bowl and away from your glass of egg nog! Pets should never ingest alcohol, as it can cause a variety of health issues such as vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, tremors, seizures and even comas, amongst other things.

6 - Electrical Lighting

Christmas lights are fun and festive, but the bright colors and twinkling lights often make them look like an enticing chew toy to pets. Chewing on electrical wires can cause electrical shocks, which may result in tongue lacerations and even death, depending on the severity of the shock. Make sure to keep all wires out of reach.

7 - Candles

While candle wax isn’t necessarily harmful to pets, fire is, and pets can burn themselves not only with the flames, but also the hot wax. Make sure to keep them out of reach, so your pet doesn’t accidentally knock them over and create a fire hazard!

Do you have any tips for pet holiday hazards to watch out for? Share them in the comments below!


Leave a comment


Please note, comments must be approved before they are published