Blue-Green Algae?


Going to the lake with your dog can be a wonderful time for them, except, there can be something in the water than causes dogs to become violently ill (and even us humans). This something is blue-green algae, which is also known as Cyanobacteria. This algae is found in nutrient-rich waters during summer.  This kind of algae looks like little green patches on the lake. Even though it may not seem harmful, the poison can be anywhere from moderate to severe. If you think your pet could have been exposed to the Cyanobacteria while swimming, get them to the vet IMMEDIATELY because it can be life threatening. Unfortunately, at this time, “there is no antidote for the toxins produced by the blue-green algae”. Some symptoms of poisoning are listed here:

  • Vomiting
  • Shock
  • Jaundice (yellowing)
  • Disorientation
  • Difficulty breathing

These symptoms can be attributed to many different health related issues in your dog, but if they were exposed to algae in a lake, make sure to tell your vet that upon arrival. Having a stress-free summer is what everyone wants to experience, but keeping everyone, dogs and humans, healthy is always the number one priority.

Reference: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/blue-green-algae/


Leave a comment


Please note, comments must be approved before they are published