Be Careful of Snail Bait!


Walking your dog around your neighborhood can be a wonderful thing for you both unless there is a hidden poison. This hidden poison is called snail repellent; it is very toxic to your dog when they lick or eat it. Many neighborhoods use this repellent without posting signs and most people never even know to suggest snail bait as a cause of the sickness to their vet. The ingredient that is located in the snail bait that causes it to be toxic is Metaldehyde, which can also be found in camp fire fuel. This toxin can affect their nervous system, and it unfortunately happened to our owner, Jacklynn Hudson’s dog, Izzy, while out walking. Thankfully, she was able to get him into the vet and have the problem diagnosed within the restricted time frame. If you live in the coastal areas, this is more likely to affect to you since that’s where snails are more prominent. If your dog exhibits any of the symptoms below, make sure to get your dog (or cat) to the vet immediately, because there is only a four hour gap in-between eating the poison and them surviving. Some of those symptoms are:

 

  • Convulsions
  • Uncoordinated Walk
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive Drooling

 

After talking to Jacklynn, ZoeDoggy found out that there is only a FOUR hour window before things take a turn for the worse. This is not much time before your pet needs to get to the vet IMMEDIATELY. After being diagnosed with Metaldehyde, your vet most likely will use an IV drip to keep your pets fluid levels up. The vet will also pump your dog’s stomach to ensure that all toxins are removed.

 

Resource used was PetMD.


Leave a comment


Please note, comments must be approved before they are published