Pesticides and Your Dog


We all know insecticides are not the safest thing for our bodies, even though it keeps the bugs away for a while. But did you know that the chemicals they use can actually be very harmful to your dog? When walking your dog outside, do not allow them to get too close to plants to lick or eat them especially if the area you live in uses pesticides to keep bugs at bay. These pesticides can be toxic to your dog and basically poison them. Two pesticides that are harmful to your dog (and cat) are Organophosphate and Carbamate and each can cause different problems in your dog. Some symptoms too look out for in case this happens to your pet are:

  • Depression
  • Increased heart rate
  • Lack of coordination
  • Seizures
  • Muscle tremors

If your pet exhibits any of these symptoms and you know your area uses insecticides make sure to get your dog to the vet immediately. Problems that can happen when your dog experiences toxicity from Carbamate are seizures and respitory problems; Organophosphate can cause muscle weakness and twitching and anorexia. These symptoms can last for a few days or even a few weeks, again if you think there is a problem, take your dog to your vet to get them looked over to make sure there is nothing drastically wrong with them. Obviously, people within their areas cannot control what chemicals their place of residence uses but they can control what their dog is eating outside as well as do some research of when your area sprays the chemicals to be better aware just in case your pet does ingest the chemicals. Remember that during the summer is when these chemicals are being used most often and to keep an eye on your pet.

Unfortunately, the owner of ZoeDoggy, Jacklynn experienced this with her one pom but fortunately, he was able to bounce back because she was aware of what was happening with him, she got him to the vet immediately and was able to reverse the problem!


Leave a comment


Please note, comments must be approved before they are published